SC - Waffles and Books

Jeff Heilveil heilveil at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 29 15:57:49 PDT 2000

    Elynor Fettiplace has a yummy recipe for sweet potatoes, that I've made
often.

"To butter Potato roots"
    Take the roots & bole them in water till they bee verie soft, then peele
them and slice them, then put some rosewater to them & sugar & the pill of an
orenge, & some of the iuice of the orenge, so let them boile a good while,
then put some butter to them, & when the butter is melted serve them. This
way you may bake them, but put them unboiled into the paste."

    I have yet to do the baked version, but the boiled one turns outs very
close to a mashed effect, as the soft potato slices get broken up by the
stirring in of the other ingredients. Good stuff--I rarely bring any home!
;-) Do add a bit of salt in, though, or they will taste a little flat. I've
also found that I often need to use part lemon juice, to make up for the
tartness that would have been in the period oranges. The acidity is
definitely needed, at least to my taste.

                    Ldy Diana