SC - FW: [SCA-Caid] The Tudor Times

Jane M Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 30 10:10:56 PDT 2000

I used a couple of recipes (mostly cookies) from this book for the Elizabethan
feast I cooked a couple of months ago.  I didn't do the one you are specifically
asking about, but did do a cauliflower dish that used both of what you're asking
about.  The "cippets" are, I believe, the same as "sippets", which are toast
points.  I took sandwich bread, cut the slices in fourths diagonally, then
toasted them.  We served them and the sauce separately so that they would not
get too soaked and cold.

The leaves of mace are simply whole mace.  I found that at Penzey's, at a
reasonable cost.  It really gives a wonderful flavor to whatever you put it
in...I now use it in the steaming water whenever I steam cauliflower...it gives
off a wonderful fragrance as it's cooking and good flavor to the cauliflower.

Kiri