SC - Chili Party

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Jun 2 09:44:24 PDT 2000

> >  Since I'll need the beans early that day to
> > start cooking, I'd better rely on Christianna for them.
>
> Well, if not then let me know and I'll bring some up.

	Don't you folks fret, I've got the Anasazi beans covered.  In fact,
Phlip is going to get the Mystery Beans & Grains Starter Kit, so she'll
have several new things to play with.
I may have to have beans in the chili as an extender, I'll have to check
prices. But I prefer chili with no beans and some people cannot eat beans
either. It depends on how much I have to spend.

	I love beans, and don't eat beef, so I wouldn't see them as an extender.
 In fact, I've never been to an Ansteorran Chili Party, but seein' as how
I sorta know the cook...	Well cooked and seasoned beans in a chili-type
soup with chunks of onions, tomatoes, tomatillos, etc., sortof like a
bean/salsa/soup, would be a marvelous vegetarian chili alternative. I bet
you get non-veggies eating it on the tortilla chips as well.  Of course,
when feeding for one of the big Pennsic parties, getting people to eat
just about anything that's put out is no problem whatsoever.  Our do is
the following night, btw.
As far as people not being able to eat beans, there are a few reasons for
that.  One is the previously discussed outer skins that folks with
disorders such as diverticulitis need to avoid eating.  But then, they
probably won't be eating chili, either.  Excessive gasseousness is
another problem.   This is due to the fact that beans contain a sugar
called raffinose, and we lack the enzyme to digest this.  The Flatulence
Factor can be lowered in several ways:  the product Beano can be taken
individually, or added directly to the pot of beans, thereby adding the
enzyme necessary to digest the raffinose.  A piece of Kombu sea vegetable
cooked in the beans will also accomplish this.  A fresh bay leaf will
help reduce the flatulence, as will throwing out the soaking water and
starting with fresh water to cook in, as the raffinose sugars are largely
removed by the soaking process.
Whether you want to bother with much of this for the ACP, is another
matter.

> I'm going to work on some fund raiser things for the party as well.

	Yep, I've been starting that process myself.

> I would not subject clean-up of the chili party to non-Ansteorrans.
> We do have a treaty to maintain y'know. But breakfast sounds good.
> Gunthar

	Sounds like a swell time will be had by all, and I think I'm getting
itchy to go.  Only 9 weeks from tomorow til Land Grab.
	Christianna