SC - Recipe Challenge again??? "Alosed Beef"

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sat Jun 3 23:37:30 PDT 2000

I only measure amounts if I'm doing a dish for a feast, and need to tell
someone else how to cook it.  At home, I just do it.

OK, we've got beginner cooks, here, too, so let's see.  An average rump
roast, as sold in many grocery stores of the buy one get one free sales,
would cut into 10-12 slices.  For rump roast, I'd also use Adolph's
Unseasoned tenderizer, following jar directions--wet, sprinkle, pierce,
wait.

Use the fat trimmings from the roasts--won't be many, so get some fat out
of your zip-lock baggie in the freezer, from trimming fattier roasts, and
mince a generous 1/2 cup.  1 bunch of cilantro, washed, dried, stemmed,
and minced.  Oregano--depends on whether you have fresh or dried and how
old it is.  1 tablespoon, dried, ought to do it.  The pepper or salt or
ground grains of paradise must be to your taste.  When I use the
tenderizer, I often leave out the salt.

How does this sound?  (Never timed the beef rolls on the grill or in the
broiler--"until it's done").

I got to liking beef rolls that our cook made in Germany, that had long
green beans, and sometimes strips of carrot as the filling.  I think she
browned the roladen, then perhaps oven-sauteed them.  I think I remember
a bit of au jus over them.  Keep hoping I'll run into a similar recipe in
period, but so far have only found the herb stuffings.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com

 PBS Virus --   Your programs stop every few minutes to ask for money.