SC - Kvas

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 4 20:35:14 PDT 2000

Does the kvas-concentrate recipe use raisins to test the fermentation?  I
have one in a translated-from-Russian cookbook (starts with toasted or
dried-out black bread) that included three raisins in the ingredients.
Curious, I read on, and learned that when the bubbles are strong enough to
float them, the kvas is considered ready to drink.

I keep threatening/promising that the year I cook Russian for my dinner
night at Lillies, I will also make kvass.  It does need to be a year that I
can spend more than a weekend there (get skunked by a business meeting that
the person for whom I cover, attends).

                                                        ---= Morgan

My philosophy of life is that the meek shall inherit nothing but debasement,
frustration, and ignoble deaths . . .
     Harlan Ellison

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries.
     A. A. Milne