SC -Mus, Brei and confusion

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon Jun 5 13:13:41 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/4/00 7:40:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

> According to my sources, mousse MUST contain, whipped cream, gelatin OR egg
>  whites. Anyway, I may have missed something or deleted something somewhere
>  along the line but what is the background of this discussion?

Actually, a mousse or forcemeat containing cream is called a mousseline.  A
mousse containing gelatine is called a Bavarian.  A mousse containing egg
whites is called a mousse.  A mousse is lousse in the housse...

As for the period question, you'll have to ask some of the more learned cooks
on the list.  My research hasn't been that deep, yet.  As for the term
terrine, in classical cooking it refers to "any" dish prepared in an
earthenware (often rectangular) vessel, which is often (though not always)
lined with pastry.  More often than not, in today's cultures, the term
"tureen" usually refers to a dish used for serving soup or stews.  I know
they are bastardizations, and these modern references really have no bearing
on a "period" cooking list, but hey...knowledge is knowledge. :)

My 2 livre worth

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?