SC - Bounce from Annalies

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Jun 6 11:41:25 PDT 2000

Sorry, I'm having problems figuring out specifically
who asked, but it was asked: "Does anyone have any
referances to frankincense being used in medieval
foods or drinks? Other uses such as incense?"

I teach a course in the SCA on things that smelled
good in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and which
were used primarily because of the way they smelled.
This includes some medications, strewing herbs,
incense, pomanders, and perfumes.  Just offhand, from
the information I've found thus far, I believe
frankincense was restricted primarily to incense
during most of period; and further, that incense was
restricted primarily to the Church during most of
period.

I will readily admit that I have found reference to
only a few primary sources, but if you wish to email
me privately at a_grossmund at yahoo.com, I will send you
the course's text and bibliography.  (Unfortunately,
it is not footnoted or endnoted, so there's a lot of
material to go through.)

You will be free to reproduce the text and
bibliography, provided you a) do not profit from said
reproduction, and b) you attribute credit to the
author.

If numerous gentles want it posted to a mailing list,
please let me know... otherwise, I'd rather not run
the risk of spamming a list.

I remain ever in service,

Annalies Grossmund