SC - Re: SC sca-cooks V1 #2343

Martina Grasse grasse at mscd.edu
Wed Jun 7 08:37:51 PDT 2000

Thomas and Adamantius,

Thanks for all your insights and answers.
(of course you did manage to complicate things further with:
>> An addition on _Lungenbraten_. The word _braten_ can mean 'piece of
meat' in the old language, too. According to Hopf, _Lungenbraten_ is a
variant of _lummelbraten_, and refers to the loin (lat. _lumbus_): piece
of meat from the loin, roast loin, sirloin (?).<< <GGG>
With all the ears, tails and feet in the dish I was inclined to stick with
lung, but he also has so many other meats, I m not sure which way to go.
That is one of those drifts of language/false cognates... I never would have
come up with.

Another one of those is  >>Welsch = 'italian' (in rare cases for other
romance cultures too,
French, Spanish)<<    sounds crazy to me, but what do I know ;-)

I need to hunt up Zervelat in Welserin, it might well work - it is certainly
an Italian sausage and the name drift (from Zirwonada) is not too big to be
reasonable. (Moderndays it is rather bologna like (only better), and with
pistachios and mustard seeds IIRC, I'm curious what Sabina did with it.)

>>a while ago we discussed the arabic sinhaji dish as a forerunner of the
olla podrida, perhaps we have a near relative in the Dutch hudtspudt,
<<snip>  I have my A&S entry from a while back webbed here (in case it
becomes pertinent)

Thanks for the insights on selcht (never would have gotten that one) But why
use geselcht to mean smoked when in so many other places he is using
Gera:euchert??? Perhaps the correct interpretation would be dried?
the Tauchente (diving duck - I had come up with ducking duck, but Im not a
game-bird expert, and didnt find anything relevant in my web-crawling)

brassica rapa L. var. rapifera sucosa  did not come up in any of the online
botanicals I checked, but stoppelrübe = rutabaga or turnip (that is why I
wanted to find clarification in a botanical) since he already has both turnip
and rutabaga in the recipe.  Further insight would be grand!

Thanks especially for the clarification on bemelt (now that I see it, it is
another DUH! Of course from melden ;-)

The reference to skewering and roasting the Su:eltze has me puzzled (and I
have seen similar puzzling references in other parts of Rumpolt.) The
Su:eltze I am familiar with is chunks of meat in a jellied substance (like
brawn?) and would melt and fall off the skewer into the flames.

 You also asked: >>I prefer to call it "Florilegium" instead of
"florithingy"; may I?):<< Of course you may!!! <GGG> I just cant seem to get
it into my head, so I wuss out, Ill try to do better.

OK, enough out of me this morning.

Gwen-Cat von Berlin
Hot and crabby in 90+F Caerthe (and yes, that is way too hot for this early
in June!)