SC - Help!!!

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Thu Jun 8 23:46:09 PDT 2000

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 15:20:58 -0500 Ruth Blake and David Blake
<tegan at swbell.net> writes:
>I agreed to do Yule revel this year and our theme is Scottish.
>I have a few scottish recipes I have found..all the standards like
>scotch eggs, haggis, shortbread. Does anyone have some period scottish
recipes that
>might help me out. The kitchen will be small and it will be a small
feast for about 60
>people. I really don't mind pre cooking.
>Thanks
>Tegan

Enjoy.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

	Red and White Gingerbread "Gyngerbrede" - (Scottish Medieval
dated from 1430 AD)
	A Book of Historical Recipes by Sara Paston-Williams The National
Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7; Posted by Paul Macgregor
	"Take a quart of hony, & sethe it, & skeme it clene; take
Safroun, poudir Pepir & throw ther-on; take gratyd Brede & make it so
chargeaunt (thick) that it wol be y-leched; then take pouder Canelle
(cinnamon) & straw ther-on y-now; then make yt square, lyke as thou wolt
leche yt; take when thou lechyst hyt, an caste Box (garden box) leves
a-bouyn, y-stkyd ther-on, on clowys (cloves). And if thou wolt have it
Red, coloure it with Saunderys (sandalwood) y-now."
	Historical note: Gingerbread, both red and white, was a favourite
medieval sweetmeat. Home-made gingerbread could be prepared by mixing
bread crumbs to a stiff paste with honey, pepper, saffron and cinnamon.
Ginger is omitted from the earliest recipe we have, but this may be due
to an accidental slip on the part of the scribe. Once made, it was shaped
into a square, sliced and decorated with box leaves impaled on cloves.
	** British Measurements **
	1 lb. Honey
	pinch Powdered saffron
	1 Tsp. Black pepper
	2 Tsp. Ground ginger
	2 Tsp. Ground cinnamon
	1 lb. White bread crumbs
	Box or bay leaves & whole cloves to decorate
	Warm the honey over a gentle heat until quite runny, then stir in
the saffron and pepper. Pour into a large bowl and add the ginger and
cinnamon, then mix in the bread crumbs. It is impossible to say exactly
how many bread crumbs the honey will absorb because it varies, but the
mixture should be very stiff. If not, add a few more bread crumbs. Line a
shallow gingerbread tin with baking parchment and press the mixture into
it with your fingers. Level the top and leave to firm up in the fridge
for several hours, then turn out on to another sheet of paper and cut
into small squares. Arrange the gingerbread on a large plate, then
decorate each square with two box or small bay leaves and a whole clove
stuck in the center. You can achieve an even prettier effect by gilding a
few of the leaves or painting the ends of some of the cloves red.
	If you want to achieve a checkerboard effect, make the mixture up
in two lots, adding a few drops of red coloring to one quantity of honey
before mixing, then continue as before. Arrange the red and white squares
of gingerbread alternately on the serving plate.
	Jumbles or Knot Biscuits "Jumbles a hundred" - (Scottish
Elizabethan dated from 1596 AD)
	A Book of Historical Recipes by Sara Paston-Williams The National
Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7; Posted by Paul Macgregor
	"Take twenty Egges and put htem into a pot both the yolkes and
the white, beat them wel, then take a pound of beaten sugar and put to
them, and stirre them wel together, then put to it a quarter of a peck of
flower, and make a hard paste thereof, and then with Anniseeds moulde it
well, ane make it in little rowles beeing long, and tye them in knots,
and wet the ends in Rosewater; then put them into a pan of seething
water, but even in one waum, then take them out with a Skimmer and lay
them in a cloth to drie, this being don lay them in a tart panne, the
bottome beeing oyled, then put them into a temperat Oven for one howre,
turning them often in the Oven.
	** British Measurements **
	1 1/2 oz Butter; salted
	4 oz Caster sugar
	1 TB Rose-water
	1/2 oz Caraway seeds
	1 lg. Egg; beaten
	8 oz Plain flour
	Extra rose-water & caster sugar for glaze
	Preheat the oven to 350øF / 180øC / gas mark 4. Cream the butter,
sugar and rose-water together, then mix in the caraway seeds, beaten egg
and flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured board, then
take small walnut-sized pieces of dough and with your fingers form each
into a roll, approximately 3/4-inch in diameter and 6-inch in length.
Make into simple knots, plaits or rings and arrange on a lightly greased
baking sheet. Brush with rose-water and sprinkle with caster sugar. Bake
near the top of the oven for about 20 minutes, or until tinged with
brown. (Knots and plaits will take longer to bake than simple rings, so
don't mix shapes on a baking sheet.) Remove from the oven and cool on a
wire rack. Store in an airtight tin. Delicious when served with syllabub.
	Gilded Marchpane
	(Scottish Elizabethan dated from 1699 AD & 1584 AD)
	A Book of Historical Recipes by Sara Paston-Williams The National
Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7; Posted by Paul Macgregor
	"How to make Marchpane Cake" (dated from 1699 AD) "Take blancht
Almonds and sugar and beat them up into a Past, and when have beaten it
into a Past, rowl it out about the thickness that you will have your
Marchpane Cakes to be and cut them in 3 square pieces and set an Edge to
them of the same past, and Impress the Edges of them, then take Rose
Watter and beat searced sugar in it till it be as thick as Pancakes,
butter and wet them within it and strew a few of Bisketts in them and set
them upon Wafers, and set them againe upon Papers and bake them, and keep
them for your use."
	"To gild a Marchpane or any other kind of Tart" (dated from 1584
AD) "Take and cut your leafe of golde, as it lieth upon the booke, into
square peeces like Dice and with a Conies tailes end moysted a little,
take golde up by the one corner, lay it on the place beeing first made
moyste, and with another tayle of a Conie drie presse the golde downe
close. And if ye will have the forme of an Harte, or the name of Iesus,
or any other thing whatsoever; cut the same through a peece of paper and
lay the paper upon your Marchpane or Tart; then make the voide place of
the Paper (through which the Marchpane appeareth) moyste with Rose Water,
laye on your golde, presse it down, take off your Paper and there
remaineth behinde in golde the print cut in the saide paper."
	Historical note: The marchpane was the centrepiece of any
banquet. It was a large flat disc of marzipan, sometimes with a raised
rim round the edge, weighing perhaps 3 to 4 pounds or more, which was
iced, sumptuously decorated and surmounted for special occasions with
three-dimensional figures or models in cast sugar (hot sugar syrup
moulded in stone, wooden or pewter shapes); sugar plate (similar to
modern fondant icing) or almond paste. Finally, the marchpane was often
gilded with gold leaf, readily available but exceedingly expensive in
Elizabethan times.
	** British Measurements **
	THE MARCHPANE-
	1 lb. Almonds; ground
	3 TB Rose-water
	8 oz Caster sugar
	THE GLAZE
	1 TB Rose-water
	3 TB Icing sugar
	Preheat the oven to 300øF / 150øC / gas mark 2. Work the ground
almonds, sugar and rose-water together to make a stiff paste. Knead until
quite smooth. Reserve a little of the marzipan for decorating the
marchpane and place the rest on a sheet of grease proof paper. Roll it
into a circle, about 3/8-inch thick, and decorate the edges with the back
of a knife as you would a pie. Slip the marzipan on to a baking sheet and
bake for 15 minutes, then turn off the oven, open the oven door and leave
to cook for another 15 minutes, then turn off the oven, open the oven
door and leave to cook for another 15 minutes, or until firm and dry, but
only lightly colored.
	Meanwhile, mix the rose-water and icing sugar to a thin paste for
the glaze. Brush over the marchpane and continue cooking for about 5
minutes until dry and glossy. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
	Roll out the reserved marzipan until quite thin and cut out into
hearts, diamonds, letters, animals or birds. Paint with edible gold
coloring and fix on to the glazed marchpane as it dries to form patterns
or pictures. Alternately, the reserved marzipan can be modeled into
figures of animals or birds, or into knots which can be gilded as before.
Sugar-coated caraway, fennel or coriander seeds, or confectioners' silver
balls can also be used for decoration. Serve as a sweetmeat with coffee
at the end of a meal.
	Apple Snow - (Scottish Elizabethan dated from 1572 AD)
	A Book of Historical Recipes by Sara Paston-Williams The National
Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7; Posted by Paul Macgregor
	Dyschefull of Snowe "Take a pottell (half a gallon) of swete
thycke creame and the whytes of eyghte egges, and beate them altogether
wyth a spone. Then putte them in youre creame and a saucerful of
Rosewater, and a dyshe full of Sugar wyth all. Then take a stycke and
make it cleane, and then cutte it in the ende foure square, and therwith
beate all the aforesayde thynges together, and ever as it ryseth take it
of and put it into a Collaunder. This done, take one apple and set it in
the myddes of it, and a thicke bushe of Rosemary, and set it in the
myddes of the Platter. Then cast your Snowe uppon the Rosemary and fyll
your platter therwith. And yf you have wafers caste some in wyth all and
thus serve them forthe." Historical note: The greatest innovation in
Elizabethan cookery was the discovery of eggs as a raising agent. Whites
of eggs produced "Snowe", a centrepiece for the banquet.
	** British Measurements **
	1 1/2 lb. Cooking apples; peeled, cored & sliced
	1 TB Rose-water
	Caster sugar; to taste
	3 Egg whites
	3 oz Caster sugar
	1/4 pt Whipping cream
	GARNISH
	Fresh rosemary sprigs
	Gold dragees
	Cook the sliced apples with the rose-water until soft, then rub
them through a fine sieve to make a smooth puree. Taste and sweeten with
a little sugar if necessary. Leave to get cold, then measure out about
1/2 pint. In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they stand in
soft peaks. Gradually beat in the caster sugar and continue to beat to a
stiff, glossy meringue. Gently fold in the measured apple puree, then
spoon into individual glasses or sundae dishes. Top with swirls of
whipped cream and decorate with rosemary and gold dragees.
	Spiced Red Wine "Ipocras" (Scottish Medieval dated from 1686 AD)
	A Book of Historical Recipes by Sara Paston-Williams The National
Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7; Posted by Paul Macgregor
	"Take a galon of claret or white wine and put there in 4 ounces
of ginger, an ounce and half of nutmeg, of cloves, an quarter of Sugar, 4
pound. Let all this stand together in a pot at least twelve hours, then
take it and put it in a clere bage made for the purpose so that the wine
may come with good coller from the wine." Historical note: Hippocras, a
rich sweetened and spiced wine drunk after meals, was still in vogue
during the 17th century.
	** British Measurements **
	3 pt Dry red wine
	8 oz Caster sugar
	1 oz Ground ginger
	1/4 oz Ground cinnamon
	1/4 oz Ground cloves
	Heat the wine gently with the sugar until it has dissolved,
stirring frequently. Mix in the spices, then allow to stand for 24 hours,
stirring occasionally, then strain through a jelly bag or a double layer
of muslin into a jug or large bowl. Pour back into the wine bottle and
recork until needed. Makes about 10 to 12 glasses.
	Muskels, Cawdel of - Spiced Mussel and Leek Broth (Medieval
Scottish dated 1390)
	"Take and seeth muskels; pyke hem clene, and waisshe hem clene in
wyne. Take almaundes and bray hem. Take somme of the muskels and grynde
hem, and some hewe smale; drawe the muskels yground with the self broth.
Wryng the almondes with faire water. Do alle thise togider; do therto
verious verjuice and vynger. Take whyte of lekes and perboile hem wel;
sryng oute the water and hewe hem smale. Cast oile therto, with oynouns
perboiled and mynced smale; do therto powdour fort, safroun and salt a
lytel. Seeth it, not to stondying, and messe it forth." Historical note:
Shellfish were a special treat during Lent: cooked either in a simple
broth of their own juice with perhaps a little ale, or in rich spicy
pottages like this recipe.
	3 lb. Fresh mussels
	2 TB Dry white wine
	1 sm. Onion; finely chopped
	8 oz Leeks; thinly sliced
	2 TB Olive oil
	1 1/2 oz Almonds; ground
	2 tsp. Ginger; ground
	pinch Saffron
	3/4 pt Fish stock
	Salt and pepper to taste
	1 TB White wine vinegar
	4 TB Double cream
	Thoroughly wash and scrub the mussels, scraping off any
barnacles. Remove the beards and discard any mussels that do not close
when given a good tap. Place in a large pan and add a dash of the wine.
Cover with a lid and cook over a high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, shaking
the pan until the mussels have opened. Strain the liquor through a
colander into a bowl, reserving it. Heat the oil in a saucepan and soften
the leeks and onions in it for about 3 minutes. Add the remaining wine
and let it reduce by half. Stir in the ground almonds and spices. Mix the
reserved cooking liquor with the fish stock and gradually add it to the
pan, stirring well. Leave to simmer gently for 25 minutes.
	Liquidise the soup and strain through a sieve into a clean
saucepan. Taste and season as necessary, and sharpen with wine vinegar.
	Discard one half of each mussel shell. Reheat the soup and stir
in the cream and mussels. Serve immediately in bowls, with plenty of
fresh crusty bread.
	Herb and Flower Salad - (Scottish Medieval - dated from 1390 AD)
	A Book of Historical Recipes by Sara Paston-Williams The National
Trust of Scotland, 1995 ISBN 0-7078-0240-7; Posted by Paul Macgregor
	Salat: "Take persel (parsley), sawge, grene garlec, chibolles
(spring onions), oynouns, leek, borage, myntes, porrettes (a type of
leek), fennel, and town cressis, rew, rosemaye, purslayne; lave and
wasche hem clene. Pike hem. Pluk hem small with thyme hande, and mingle
hem wel with rawe oile; lay on vynegar and salt, and serve it forth."
	Historical note: This is the earliest salad recipe in English.
Mixed herb and flower salads proved so popular that they continued in
fashion through to the 17th century. The salad would change according to
the season and what grew in each cook's herb garden, so adapt and
experiment with the basic recipe as you wish, as long as the result is
colorful.
	** British Measurements **
	2 bn Watercress
	1 packages Mustard greens & cress
	2 oz Fresh parsley sprigs
	1 Leek; finely sliced
	6 Spring onions; chopped
	1 oz Sorrel leaves; chopped
	1 oz Dandelion leaves; chopped
	1 Fennel bulb; sliced into match sticks
	1 oz Daisy leaves; chopped
	Red sage leaves
	Mint leaves
	1 Fresh rosemary sprig chopped
	1 cl Garlic
	1 TB Wine vinegar
	Salt & pepper to taste
	6 TB Olive oil
	Violets, primrose, blue borage flowers, dandelions & alexander
buds to decorate
	Wash and dry all the salad greens and prepare it. Mix together in
a large bowl, which has been rubbed well with a garlic clove, reserving
the flowers. Place the wine vinegar, seasonings and olive oil into a
screw-topped jar and shake well to blend. Pour over the salad just before
serving and mix again carefully. Decorate with the flowers as you wish
and serve immediately.