SC - OP Question re: American Civil War cooking

Darice Moore magistra at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jun 9 16:19:13 PDT 2000

Brangwayna,

By a strange stroke of fate... I just obtained two small Civil War
cookbooks from a friend who used to do CW re-enactment.

One is entitled "Blue and Grey Cooker:  Authentic Recipes from The Civil
War Years" - however, the "authentic" part isn't proven in any way in
the book.  The authors imply that they have redacted existing recipes,
but no original sources are named.

Blue and Grey Cookery was published by Daisy Publishing, Box 253, 116 E.
Julian St., Martinsburg, PA  16662 but my copy is dated 1980, so YMMV.
No ISBN; I think it was privately printed.  Authors are Hugh and Judy
Gowan.

The other is a reprint of an 1863 "Confederate Cook Book" - it's
actually been completely re-typeset and everything, but at least it's
all from a named source.  It includes, in addition to food recipes,
there are receipts for making soap, candles, household cleaning fluids,
etc.  Recipes have not been modernized.  Of interest to the list might
be:

YEAST:  Boil one pound of good flour, a quarter of a pound of brown
sugar and a little salt in two gallons of water for one hour.  When milk
warm bottle it close, it will be git to use in twenty-four hours.  One
part of this will make eighteen pounds of bread.

My copy of the 1863 Confederate Cook Book was printed in 1990 by Pioneer
Press, Union City, TN  38261.  the ISBN is 0-913150-0906.  Editor:
Jefferson Davis Freeman.

- - Clotild