SC - Re: Help-Scottish recipes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 10 10:48:13 PDT 2000

Balthazar of Blackmoor
>In a message dated 6/10/00 10:20:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>lilinah at earthlink.net writes:
>
>>  Commercial has nothing particular to do with it. It's a question of
>>   technology. There's a technological difference between a printed
>>   book, such as Lord Cariadoc is talking about, in which the pages are
>>   printing using a printing press, or sometimes carved wood blocks, and
>>   a manuscript (hand written) book, such as the Book of Kells, in which
>>   everything is done "by hand", that is hand written with pen and ink,
>>   creating a unique (in the true, not the oft abused, sense of the
>>   word, that is, one of a kind) book.
>
>I understand the difference you are iluminating.  By commercial, I mean
>"exchanged through commerce".  It has everything to do with technology, I
>agree.

Many handwritten hand illuminated manuscript books, such as the
various books of hours commissioned by Jean, Duc de Bery, were also
commercial, as were a wide variety of other manuscript books,
including such books as the Tacuinum Sanitatis, which is an herbal
heath manual with pictures of a number of typical Medival food plants.

So both printed and manuscript books could be commercial.

Anahita al-shazhiyya