SC - Celtic recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 12 12:14:19 PDT 2000

pat fee wrote:

> On this topic.  A friend just returned from Irland and was discribing the
> food she encountered.  She said that they offered "blood pudding," both dark
> and white, and some  other kind of saussage. Is ther a recipe for these or
> any documentation for our period.  I thought it might not have changed much.
> I want to do this for part of a "breakfast" for a up coming estates meeting
> for another group.

There's a recipe for boudins noir or blood sausages in Le Menagier de
Paris, but it's more like a modern French recipe, as I recall, without
any cereal filler/stabilizer. Gervase Markham's "The English Housewife"
(1615 C.E.) contains recipes for black and white puddings, as does
Kenelm Digby's Closet Opened (1669 C.E.), which are closer to modern
black puddings found in the British Isles, usually with a starchy
product like rice or breadcrumbs in the mix.

White puddings don't contain blood, by the way, they just contain
everything else black puddings do, with the _exception_ of blood.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com