SC - questions

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 09:47:47 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/13/00 11:36:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

> _Du Fait de Cuisine_ includes a shopping list, with quantities (see
>  below), from which you can calculate roughly how much food was being
>  produced; since it also provides a menu, you can get a rough idea of
>  how much was in each dish.  My calculation was a total of about
>  70,000 lbs (i.e. 35 tons) of boneless meat. That was for two meals a
>  day for two days, and he doesn't say how many guests are expected.

I had read this before, and it was my understanding that this was not an
actual shopping list for an actual feast.  I believe it is meant as an ideal
guide (read: "wouldn't it be swell if...") for producing a Grand Feast or
some such.  Does anyone have, or have seen, any manor house or castle
inventories in which quantities of meats and game birds jumped anywhere near
these levels in actual history?  That would be a better indication of how
much food was actually (rather than theoretically) served at a feast.  I am
not, at present, prepared to believe that the Du Fait referrence is an actual
account of feast preparations.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?