SC - Medieval Coffee

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 11:53:15 PDT 2000

List,

Whilst stumbling around Amazon.com the other day, I came across a book
entitled 'Coffee and Cofeehouses" which, according to the blurb and editorial
reviews, traces the history of coffee consumption in the Near Middle East in
medieval times.  I was wondering if anyone on the list (Cariadoc, Suleman??)
has had a chance to look at this book, and can tell me if it is worth picking
up.  Being an avid coffee drinker (two pots before work, and about three
while I'm there), I would like to have some kind of documentation to help
support my habit at events :)  I have read numerous third and fourth hand
accounts of medieval coffee consumption in the Middle East in period, but
nothing I would consider "documentable" since they don't give primary source
references.  One "fact" which makes me doubt the authenticity of some of
these claims is the reference to salted coffee being consumed regularly in
the middle ages, and into modern times.  While I have heard this from a few
sources, all of the truly Midle Eastern people I know say they have never
heard of this.  Any reviews of the book (or similar ones) would be
appreciated.

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(a roving ambassador of The Coffee Generation)

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?