SC - questions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Jun 14 22:45:50 PDT 2000

At 1:47 AM -0400 6/15/00, CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/14/00 8:13:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
>writes:
>
>  > Actually, it is certain members who would rather compromise period
>practices
>  >  with more convenient forms and who go out of their way to convince
>newcomers
>  >
>  >  that it is all right to do so that cannot be trusted.
>  >

>Ouch!  However, it _is_ "allright" to do so.  If this were a job, or a duty,
>or a prison sentence, then it may _not_ be "allright" to decide your own
>level of participation, and encourage others to decide theirs.

You seem to be using "all right" as "this is something you can do
without deserving punishment" Why?

Suppose someone asked you whether to read a book. You happen to think
the book is dreadful. Do you say "It's all right to read that book?"
Wouldn't it be more useful to say "I don't think you should read that
book--it is dreadfully written and boring." It doesn't follow that
you think he should be compelled not to read the book.

But every time someone says the equivalent for period cooking--"you
ought not to serve out of period food because it makes events feel
less period," or "you ought to cook from period recipes because it is
fun, interesting, and educational," you treat the statement as if it
were a command rather than advice.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/