SC - semi-precious stones and pearls

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 12:59:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/15/00 7:09:20 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
margali at 99main.com writes:

> My suggestion-perhaps crunch up some of the pearls and dissolve the in
> vinegar,
>  then shoot in some cream of tartar, shake well and filter through several
> layers of
>  filter paper. Take the resulting glop and mix into plain water, let stand
> for a few
>  hours or days to see if there is a fine white slime deposited on the
bottom
> of the
>  glass and carefully pour of the water, add water again, repeat and then
try
> drying
>  the slime and sniff to see if it has a smell different from the original
> seed
>  pearls, and that can easily be powdered to a cornstarch consistancy that
has
>  slight luster.

I think your right on, as the original as posted said to "pass through" or
some such after the sediment formed through water. So, I'm willing to try
this. It sounds like a royal mess and my kids will lend a hand....Will let
you know....

Lars