SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2369

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 23:33:03 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/15/00 7:34:27 PM Pacific Daylight Time, phil at spis.co.nz
writes:

> My experience is that newcomers are quite often keen to be
>  authentic, and that they can lose this enthusiasm if too many people
>  tell them they "don't need to bother".

My experience, oddly enough, is to the contrary.  I have seen many newcomers
enter the society wrapped up in a swaddling cloth of enthusiasm, only to have
it ripped away by too many people saying things like "swaddling cloths aren't
period..." :)

>  I don't want to see the SCA set rigid standards of authenticity; I
>  _do_ want to see newcomers consistently encouraged to put some
>  effort towards doing things they are interested in authentically.

Gently, tactfully encouraged??

Balthazar of Blackmoor
Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?