SC - questions/kinda long, sorry

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 10:09:24 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/15/00 11:24:31 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
ddfr at best.com writes:

> What evidence do you have that the cooks in question actually knew
>  anything much about period cooking--other than their claiming they
>  did? What you describe sounds much more like someone with very little
>  knowledge of period cooking doing a bad job of putting on a feast,
>  and then excusing it by asserting that that is what period cooking is
>  like.

In this neck of the woods, they made up the guild. They were considered, and
are considered, the experts in feasting period. They are the names I was
given as the "go to" people for assistance at the time. As a newbie myself I
can only go by what I'm instructed by the peers as to their "expertness" or
not. But the peers here explained that they were, and I had no reason to
doubt the peers.

>What makes you think their knowledge is very, very good? In my
>experience, people are much more likely to be hostile to questions if
>they don't know very much and are afraid of being shown up than if
>they really do know a lot.<

I agree with the idea. Sorta like the one who yells loudest is usually wrong.
But at the time I was instructed by those who should have known, whose
instructions I was too new to question, that they were indeed the
professionals with whom to work. I've since grown enough to feel stronger
about asking for qualifications before accepting tutaledge....

>Again--could you describe what post you are referring to? Ras wasn't
>responding to the new person, he was responding to Anne-Marie, who
>has been in for some time now.

>I've just checked the first twenty posts in the thread, and so far as
>I can tell what you are describing simply didn't happen.

>David Friedman<

And on this I concede. I misinterpreted myself, or confused posts. I
apologize for this, as I did previously. I didn't mean to offend.

Lars