SC - spices organisation

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 16 12:01:54 PDT 2000

It's clear I don't have as many spices as most of you, though it's a bit
hard to tell, since they're sort of spread out.  I have a couple of small
lazy susans in a corner cuboard for herbs and sweet spices, with the hot
spices and seeds in small handled boxes (the sort you sometimes can buy
cherries in, maybe 6x10x3?) tucked along the side surrounded by odd
bottles.  They are mostly pretty small bottles, so they will be fresh when
I use them.  The dried fruits, oils, and flour are either in the
refrigerator or one half of a free-standing unit (I'm not sure if I should
call it cupboards or "pantry"), and the beans/rice are in the other side,
along with some canned goods.

On another (older) thread, I'm one of the people who occasionally has
trouble with posted recipes because my software doesn't always recognize
the one-character fractions (I use WordPerfect, not Word).  Writing the
fraction out, of course, would take care of that (e.g., one and one-half),
but it's a pain.  How about using the decimal equivalent (1.5) instead?
Most fractions are probably either a half or a quarter, which decimalize
nicely.

Sandra Kisner, terribly behind in her e-mail
sjk3 at cornell.edu