SC - OT- How do you cook a pig?

Acanthus Books amanda at acanthus-books.com
Tue Jun 20 14:23:41 PDT 2000

Last November my husband cooked a pig in a big oil drum smoker. He started
it about 5 in the morning and it took all day. He didn't use a spit but the
pig was small enough that two people could flip it. In my youth I attended
parties where the featured attraction was a gargantuan pig roasted in a
pit. I don't remember a spit ever being used, instead the pig was wrapped
in chicken wire so it could be flipped using poles. Basted with a
vinegar-based mop containing lots of red pepper flakes.

This month's Saveur magazine contains an article about a fellow who does
pig roasts. He uses a homemade smoker fashioned from an oil drum, and a
spit that runs on a garage door opener motor.

Searching online for "pig roast" will turn up a couple of websites with
instructions and photos.

Amanda
Acanthus Books
http://www.acanthus-books.com