SC - Currant history (Was Currants vs Zante raisins) Long

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 21 06:08:16 PDT 2000

Nanna Rognvaldardottir wrote:

> Akim wrote:
>
> >They were immensely popular as fresh berries
> >and garden ornamentals throughout the Tudor period,
> >though large scale growing did not catch on until the
> >time of James I, not several centuries later as you and
> >Ras seem to be convinced.
>
> Huh? I can´t recall having said anything about when I thought large-scale
> growing of currants caught on, and I´m well aware they were grown in England
> from the 16th century onwards. If they were cultivated there earlier, I
> certainly would like to know - what is your source?
>
> >Oh, no, no....   the earlier terms were certainly dried grapes.
>
> I think I can identify the passage from your earlier post that I (and
> probably Ras as well) seem to have misunderstood: " This name was derived
> (in English) when Ribes plants were introduced into England or perhaps a
> little earlier (say mid 15th) as the English became familiar with Ribes
> berries on the continent.   The separate terms "raysons of the sun" or "Zant
> raisins" probably preceded
> the term "curran" in the English language."
>
> To me this looks as if you are saying that the term "currans" (for Ribes
> berries) was used from the mid 15th century onwards, and that "raysons of
> the sun" and "Zant raisins" were even earlier than that. If I misunderstood
> you, I´m truly sorry.
>
> >All I was saying was that the term "currans"  in English from
> >Tudor times on means Ribes genus berries except as confused
> >by uneducated people of the times.
>
> And I think this - and the meaning of the term "raisins of the sun" is the
> main point we disagree on. Prospect Books has a new glossary online:
> http://www.kal69.dial.pipex.com/gloss.htm#glossary )
>
> compiled by Alan Davidson and others from the works of Robert May, Sir
> Kenelm Digby, John Evelyn, Richard Bradley, Hannah Glasse, William Ellis and
> John Notts - certainly not uneducated people of their time - and these are
> the entries for currants and raisins of the sun:
>
> RAISINS OF THE SUN, a frequent ingredient: sun-dried raisins. (Robert May,
> 1660/1685)
>
> RAISINS, reasons: sun-dried grapes, sometimes called raisins-of-the-sun to
> distinguish them from raisins of Corinth, i.e. currants. In Receipt 105,
> they are called ‘malago raisins’. (John Evelyn, Cook, C17)
>
> RAISINS OF THE SUN meant simply sun-dried grapes. The phrase had been in use
> from mediaeval times to distinguish true raisins from raisins of Corinth,
> which were currants (and also sun- dried). (Glasse, 1747)
>
> CORINTHS: currants, also called raisins of Corinth. (John Evelyn, Cook, C17)
>
> CURRANS, corrance: currants. (John Evelyn, Cook, C17)
>
> CURRANS, an old spelling of currants.(Glasse, 1747)
>
> >I was using Zante as an
> >identifier because it, as you say, is the major producing area for the
> imported fruit to America
>
> I didn´t say that, actually. I said Zante is the type most commonly grown in
> [...]

The cuskynole debate has been on a temporary hiatus, but with regard to
people's impressions of it, I can only say that when I asked if people
would prefer it be taken to private mail, responses were about 15 for
keeping it on the list, one against.

Of course that doesn't keep people from taking the subject's name in
vain occasionally.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy