SC - kitchen in a krak

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 21 18:56:50 PDT 2000

Hello the List!

Stefan wrote some of these comments (I think), and I forgot to check whose
the others were.  Sorry.

>You need flames, but...
>Not necessarily in the same place.

No, but this is a krak all by itself on the top of a hill, under siege for
18 months.  Still, they may have made charcoal outside the building, that is
true.  I wonder if the Brother Armourer (or whatever they called him) did
it?

>A very common occupation throughout period and right up to the
>beginning of the 20th century is Charcoaler.

Wahoo!  Brother Charcoaler, right up there with all the important people
like Brother Vinter!

>The use of charcoal for fuel would have eliminated all sparking,
>popping and uncontrolled burning, and allowed a shorter chimney
>stack, just as was posited earlier.

Agreed.  I'm just not sure it was possible in this instance.  I'd hate to be
Brother Wood-gatherer...

The chimney was unusually short, to my eye.  I would guess, from memory, at
about 9 feet.  Please note that this is not an accurate measurement at this
stage.

When my mother-in-law arrives in 3 weeks, we're planning to inflict all the
Crusader edifices on her, or as many as possible, including a visit to a
Crusader church where one can still attend a Latin Mass.  I will measure the
chimney of the Belvoir kitchen at that stage (I can see the park ranger's
face now) and take as many pictures as I can.  If you have any requests for
pictures, let me know now.

Cairistiona