SC - cooking class disappointment

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 21 21:07:19 PDT 2000

Gwyneth commented:
> I taught a class this past weekend at King's College designed to encourage
> people to try period food and to show that a feast could be easy, period
> and good.
> I had 3 people show up, none of whom were particularly interested in my
> point, they just knew I was a good cook and were hungry:-)

I think a major problem was when your class was scheduled. My lady and I
had already decided that we would go offsite at noon to grab some lunch.
I would expect the noon and 1pm classes to be somewhat light because of
people getting some lunch. I would have liked to have attended your
class, especially after the personal invitation.

Or did you specifically schedule the class for this time? I hadn't
realized that I might have been able to see your class and get lunch
at the same time. However, I think I would have had serious opposition
from my lady had I tried to do this. I'm still trying to convince her
to try more medieval foods. Even when I cook mundane food items the
usual reponse is more like "Why are you experimenting again? Why can't
you just cook normal food" than "ok, I'll try a little bit". I never
could get her to try the pears in wine sauce I made recently. Although
a number of folks in her family and mine liked it.

Perhaps more bribery er, mentioning of food samples in the class
announcement might be useful.

> As a matter of fact, the feast was being prepared on the table next to
> mine...they were peeling ears of corn...CORN!!
> It was just very disappointing.

I just posted a message about the feast, which we didn't eat because
it wasn't our idea of feast food, in another message. And to think, I
was a bit concerned that you might find my comments objectionable
since it was your group. Or are you not in the Shire of Stonebridge
Keep?
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net