SC - Re: charcoal

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 22 09:26:01 PDT 2000

Hello the List!

Stefan said:

>Yes, I had forgotten all about this possibility. I've been thinking
>charcoal was primarily of commercial use, but I imagine it was used
>in domestic fires also, even if it was more expensive. I seem to
>remember various complaints about coal (both dug up and sea coal)
>when it began to be used in houses. While I believe this was mostly
>in Scotland and such areas that were short of timber, I can see
>charcoal being used prior to this and in other countries.

Does anyone have access to a copy of the Bayeux tapestry?  From memory,
there are wood fires for the large-scale cooking areas and what looks like
charcoal in the braziers.  Is this right?  If so, it may relate to a
practice I met in South Africa of making the fire at an open end of the pit,
then moving hot coals to underneath the food.

Cairistiona