SC - Apicius redux

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 23 09:54:23 PDT 2000

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> Shoot! I'm looking for a copy of Apicius but the only
> copies I'm able to find are the ones by Vehling. I know
> the Flowers and Rosenbaum translations are better but
> are there other sources? If not Apicius then what other
> sources would be good? I'm working with Gwyneth
> on Roman "takeout" foods that could have been sold
> by street vendors. The subject sounds fun but I'm
> looking for some more resources than I have right
> now.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Gunthar

You  might check (or I might check, later) Cato's De Agricultura for
hand-held country foods such as globi (spelt, or is it emmer, cheese
fritters dipped in honey, IIRC), which would make good street foods.
Fiction set in Republican or Imperial Rome is full of tantalizing
stuffed breads and such, but we don't seem to have a lot of recipes for
things like that. Certainly not in Apicius, which seems to be mostly
dishes meant to be eaten reclining in large groups, with the possible
exception of Lucanian sausage.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy