SC - Re: Kuskenole - was, Authenticity, philosophy, and advocacy

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 10:17:20 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/22/00 10:40:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

>  Kind of like margin notes?
>
>  I doubt it. parchment was expensive. Expensive enough that sometimes
>  old manuscripts were abraded off and the parchment reused.

Actually, in my recent research on ancient scribal customs and techniques, I
have come across several extant examples in which margin notes, corrections,
and  "editors comments" have survived, and been included in the final or
subsequent work.  It is possible that the original author/scribe tried to
"work it out with a pencil", and the drawing transferred to subsequent texts.
 I'm not saying this *is* what happened, since I haven't seen the work, but
just that it is possible.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?