SC - sweets to sell with hot drinks - recipes needed

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Fri Jun 23 13:48:06 PDT 2000

To make fine Cakes. Take a quantity of fine wheate Flower, and put it in an
earthen pot. Stop it close and set it
       in an Oven, and bake it as long as you would a Pasty of Venison, and
when it is baked it will be full of clods. Then
       searce your flower through a fine sercer. Then take clouted Creame
or sweet butter, but Creame is best: then take sugar,
       cloves, Mace, saffron and yolks of eggs, so much as wil seeme to
season your flower. Then put these things into the
       Creame, temper all together. Then put thereto your flower. So make
your cakes. The paste will be very short; therefore
       make them very little. Lay paper under them. (From The Widowes
Treasury by John Partridge, 1585.)

       A searce is a sieve.  The pre-baked flour will be very hard and
lumpy; you will need to rub it through a sieve in order to
       use it.  Clouted creame is fresh unpasteurized cream that has been
allowed to sit in an earthenware pan near the hearth
       overnight.  The cream forms a thick wrinkled yellow crust called
clouted or clotted cream.  If you don't have clouted
       cream, use butter.  Here is a worked out recipe for you:

       To every 3 cups of sifted baked flour, take the following:
       1 1/2 cups butter
       1 cup sugar
       1/4 teaspoon clove powder
       1/t teaspoon mace powder
       1/2 pinch saffron, crumbled
       3 egg yolks

       Preheat oven to 350° F.
       In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.  Add the spices
and egg yolks, and beat to mix thoroughly.  Add the
       flour, and beat until smooth.  Use a non-stick cookie sheet, or line
a cookie sheet with baking parchment.  Take the
       dough, 1 level teaspoonful at a time, and roll into small balls with
your hands.  (Resist the temptation to make them
       larger -- they won't cook in the middle if they're too big.)
Flatten the balls slightly, and place them 2 inches apart on the
       cookie sheet.  Bake for 9 minutes, or until the cookies are puffed
and golden around the edges.  Remove from oven and
       cool on wire racks.

       Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu