SC - Liqueurs

Darice Moore magistra at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jun 24 09:23:06 PDT 2000

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:
> After re-reading this post I noticed something. Now this has no sweetner
> as we consider cordials and liqueurs to be. So I would think of using
> a very sweet dessert wine. But then I notice that the proportions of
> rosewater to wine as 3 to 1.  If this is using the distilled rosewater we
> all know and love I would think this would taste pretty nasty. Would
> "red rose water" be more like a rose "tea" infusion? Does the book
> give instructions on the preparation of red rose water?

I guess it depends on how much you like the taste of roses.  Personally,
I like  *hint* of rose but anything further than that is perfumy.

However, I know a cinnamon-rose combo is good - I make a drink syrup
with those flavors.  (It was not based on any period sources, it was
just an experiment that went well and now is requested at most events.)
The recipe follows.

Lady Clotild of Soissons

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Clotild's Cinnamon-Rose Drink Syrup

I admit it; I made this one up myself.  It's sweet, with only the hint
of rose behind the cinnamon.

· 4 cups sugar
· 2 1/2 cups water
· 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
· 1 t rose water
· 1 drop red food coloring (optional)

Dissolve sugar in water over medium heat.  Bring to boil; put cinnamon
sticks in the syrup. Simmer for about half an hour.  When the syrup has
reduced somewhat, add the teaspoon of rose water and the food coloring
(if you want it) and stir well.  Let cool and strain into a decorative
bottle.

To serve, dilute with ice water (usually about 1 part syrup to 2 parts
ice water).