SC - placenames--OT

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Jun 26 06:11:46 PDT 2000

OK...Our barony is Dun Carraig, which is Scots Gaelic for stone or hill fort.  We
chose the name because Calvert County, where many of us reside, is composed of a
numer of hills and cliffs, particularly Calvert Cliffs, an ancient repository of
marine life from several prehistoric epocs...and, more recently, the site of a
nuclear power plant!  Our arms include a cross bottony (the one with three little
buds on the end of each arm), and are red and white.  The Maryland state arms
include a cross bottony on a quartered field of red and white, the cross being
counterchanged.  This relates to the fact that the counties that comprise our
barony were the first areas that were settled by Europeans in Maryland.

Kiri