SC - Sweets to serve with hot drinks

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jun 26 08:58:51 PDT 2000

It's missing one step:

The Recipe for Sesame Candy

The recipe for sesame candy. Put white pure honey near a moderate
fire in a tinned [pan] and stir it unceasingly with a spatula. Place
it alternately near the fire and away from thefire, and while it is
being stirred more extensively, repeatedly put it near and away from
the fire, stirring it without interruption until it becomes thick and
viscous. When it is sufficiently thickened, pour it out on a [slab
of] marble and let it cool for a little. Afterwards, hang it on an
iron bolt and pull it out verythinly and fold it back, doing this
frequently until it turns white as it should. Then twist and shape on
the arble, gather it up and serve it properly.

Mappae Clavicula, translated by Cyril Stanley Smith and John G.
Hawthorne, c. 12th c. (the Mappae is older than that, but this recipe
is from a part that only appears in a manuscript from about that
date).

The recipe doesn't mention adding sesame, but I think we can assume
that from its title. The major difference is that it is being pulled
like taffy as the final step.