SC - Sweets to serve with hot drinks

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 26 21:43:59 PDT 2000

Gwynydd commented:
> From: David Friedman
> > The major difference is that it is being pulled
> > like taffy as the final step.
>
> I wonder if it has to be pulled?  (I want quick things and don't want to
> start playing with pulled sweets just yet, anyway - my kitchen is really not
> ready for that!)  The way it is in the recipe I found reminds me of a sesame
> bar which is readily available here.  This is certainly not a pulled sweet.
> Perhaps (clutching at straws!) both versions were around?  I don't want to
> make it if the result is not period, but I will not make it if it has to be
> fuddled with this way.
>
> Thanks for the information, though.

I suspect Cariadoc was speaking of just that particular recipe. I think
there are a number of period candy recipes which are not "pulled". I
remember doing a candy two Pennics ago, for the Cook;s list dinner. It
was more like a peanut brittle but with pine nuts instead of peanuts.

I would take a look at some of the recipes in this file in the FOOD-SWEETS-
DECORATED section of the Florilegium:
candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.

Perhaps this article in the same section might also be of use:
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of
the
                                       candying process by Alys Katharine.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net