SC - your opinions, please

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Jun 27 05:34:11 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/26/2000 1:42:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
minxkitten at juno.com writes:

<< now, in my celtic cookbook, a good number of the recipes have potatoes in
 them...can turnips be substituted? For example,
 Poacher's Pie
 1 bay leaf
 6-10 bacon slices
 1 pound wild mushrooms
 2 leeks, chopped into 1-inch pieces
 1 rabbit, cut into small portions
 salt and pepper to taste
 3 tbsp. parsley, chopped
 3 potatoes, peeled and sliced  <---
 1 tbsp red wine vinegar

Sounds tasty!  You could put the turnips in, but it doesn't make it any more
or less likely that this is a period recipe.  It could possibly fall under
the heading "period-style".  I rarely find that taking a modern recipe and
substituting for the non-period ingredients gives me something that I can
prove is a medieval dish.  This one seems closer than most, with the use of
vinegar as a seasoning.

Brangwayna Morgan