SC - etymology of beer

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 28 15:58:23 PDT 2000

Hello the List!

According to my old linguistics lecturer, who was into brewing in his spare
time (first academic I've ever heard of who had spare time), beer comes from
the old Anglo-Germanic word for barley (bere) and ale comes from a Gothic
word aluir, which meant to hallucinate.

Thomas can probably correct me on this, though.

Cairistiona

BTW, I was under the impression that hops came into England fairly late, but
were used in the Low Countries for some time before that.  Are we being too
Anglo-centric with our 'periodicity' here?