SC - Falafel (Was Roman handfoods)

Jeff Heilveil heilveil at uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 28 07:45:21 PDT 2000

Salut!
Hauviette mentioned that perhaps food was served on bread, like the
original falafel.  I don't know if I would really agree with that
statement (thuogh I know it was just an example).  In the Miscellany is
the recipe for the earliest "falafel" I have found to date.  It's on (or
around) page 32.  It is a Counterfeit of a lamb dish, which is also in the
Miscellany (and is REALLY terrific!!).  I have to admit that the lamb dish
is better than any falafel I have had to date, then again, as much as I
love falafel, I am a lamb fanatic. (now if anyone has a period Kibi
recipe, please let me know)  there is clearly no mention in either of the
recipes for using bread with it.  That is probably something that came
later.  There is also a walnut recipe that comes out a lot like Hummus,
although I have seen no mention of the two being eaten together in
period.

In Service.

Cu drag,
Bogdan

Jeffrey Heilveil M.S.		      Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
Department of Entomology	A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
University of Illinois
heilveil at uiuc.edu
office: (217) 244-5115
home: (217) 355-5702
ICQ: 34699710

Once one dismisses the rest of all possible worlds, one finds that this is
the best of all possible worlds.
				 -Voltaire, _Candide_