SC - OOP - Ice Cream

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 09:38:05 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/28/00 10:33:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
WyteRayven at aol.com writes:

<<
 I have been making ice cream lately, and I was wondering if there was anyway
to get the smooth texture that you find in good commercial ice creams like
Hagan Daas.

 Homemade ice cream always seems to have a slightly grainy texture after
freezing, due I believe to small ice crystals. Commercial ice cream is very
smooth, and I would like to be able to get that texture into my home made ice
cream.

 Ilia >>
    According to an article in Fine Cooking magazine (Aug/Sept, '95) that I
just finally got around to making a recipe from, the secret is to add in some
dry skim milk powder to absorb the excess. They explain the chemisty of the
whole process to some extent--and it certainly was great ice cream! I made
the mocha recipe from the article Monday for our Shire meeting, and it was
gobbled down in very short order. The only complaints were from a couple of
folks who hate coffee flavor...........
    The ice cream was indeed very smooth and creamy, and not at all grainy.
Their recipe was very rich, too boot, mind you, which I'm sure had a lot to
do with it. But yes, it it would easily be a match for some of the fine
comercial brands I've tried. Great stuff!

                Ldy Diana