SC - hypoglycaemia

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 10:49:21 PDT 2000

In a message dated Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:48:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, KallipygosRed at aol.com writes:

>Did you have a headache earlier, and
>problems focusing? Did you feel hot, or sleepy? If you >did, then you ignored
>the symptoms.

I dont remember having these symptoms...it was pretty early in the morning 6 or 6:30 so being a little sleepy is normal. And I was hungry, but I was dieting, and that is one of the normal signs of being on a diet. :-/
I didnt have a headache, and definately wasnt hot. I am almost always cold. Something I have attributed to the low blood pressure. I tend to wear a jacket even in the summer.

> My mom used to say she had to remember to get
>up s-l-o-w-l-y or all the blood would pool in her >shoes and so would she.

This is my view most of the time. I try to get up slowly and to pause for a couple of seconds to make sure everythings ok. But sometimes I forget and jump up and go running off to do something, and ususally get hit about six strides away. Very annoying. This is something that has happened since I was a child.

>Also, another factor that people seem
>to forget is there is a point when you go past the >symptoms and they subside
>because you have ignored them. They don't go away, you >just don't feel
>lightheaded or anything anymore.

This is very probable in my case....I do tend to ignore some of the symptoms described, many times due to dieting, or just not having something conveniently handy, or being really busy. You know, the I'll get something to snack on in a minute, but it never happens. I don't diet as hard as I used to, and I have found that a multi vitimin seems to have helped the the "stand up, fall down" symptom quite a bit. I still get light headed, and sometimes my vision and hearing is affected a bit, but not to the degree it has happened to before.

>Many times, at this point, it is dangerous
>as the person no longer feels hungry, or >thirsty....just tired.

I can see this. I have had that happen to me...Its always been a part of the willpower game. If I can get beyond a certain point it goes away. I see now that this is a dangerous thing to do. I hadnt really thought about like this before.

>Basically, we have to learn to pay attention to what >our bodies are trying to
>tell us; even if inconvenient.

Very good point. I have started taking better care since the incident occured.

Thank you all for the input. I know that I should go see a doctor about the incident, but at this point, I dont think it would do much good, becuase of the amount of time that has passed. But if it happens again, or anything similar happens, I will make an appointment to have it checked out.

Thanks all!

Ilia