SC - Re: [sig] Polish medieval cooking

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jun 30 08:44:41 PDT 2000

> << The editor/author does not respond. >>
> That tells you something about the original material for the 'thesis'.
RFLMAO!

Ras is under a misapprehension, I think. Perhaps because he is
commenting
on a book he has never seen, and apparently our review comments weren't
clear. Let me try once more to explain to those, like Ras, who haven't
followed the explaination of the this book.

First of all, the editor/author to which I addressed my inquiry was
William Woys Weaver, who was not the author of the original thesis.

Maria Dembinska wrote her thesis in Polish. It was later printed in
Polish
as a book. That is the 'original material for the 'thesis''. It is
available in libraries both in other countries and the USA, despite Ras'

apparent conclusion that it does not exist. (Yes, when I first got the
book, I checked to see if any other translations were available, using
OCLC Worldcat, which is a Union Catalog of the holdings of about 10,000
libraries in the US, Canada and parts of Britain.)

William Woys Weaver apparently met with Ms. Dembinska (who is now
deceased) and discussed publishing a translation, and also worked with
her
on re-creating recipes based on purchase orders, menus, and other period

recipes.

The translation of the original book was funded by the National
Endowment
for the Humanities, and was apparently done by a Magdalena Thomas.

Mr. Weaver (who, by the way, is not an academic, but a popular cookbook
writer) took the translation, removed what he felt was material
inappropriate for his audience, added a preface and some supplementary
material, and attached the recipes. Because he did write part of the
material in the book, I believe that it is only truthful to refer to him

as one of the authors as well as the editor.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise        jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"