SC - Egils news and a question

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 02:41:05 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/1/00 3:34:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> A modernish trick that makes this procedure pretty well foolproof
>  (although I've never tried it in the dark!) is to beat up your egg yolks
>  in a large mixing bowl, then ladel your broth into the bowl with the
>  eggs, a bit at a time, beating it as you go.

The basic idea is to get the majority of the liquid and the eggs up to pretty
much the same temperature.  Care and a low flame are your best friends when
making any egg or liaison thickened dish.  A good way to monitor the heat of
the dish to avoid it "breaking" is to periodically stick an impecibly clean
fingertip into it.  If it feels uncomfortably warm to your finger, it is very
close to breaking.  Eggs scramble at about 170-180 degrees...which is well
below the boiling point.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?