SC - Bounce from Amanda

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Jun 5 06:36:54 PDT 2000

Admin note: The list has been closed to non-subscribers so if you post
from something other than your subscribed account it will be bounced.

Gunthar

This reminds me of my favorite epitaph. From a headstone in North Hants,
UK:

"In Memory of
THOMAS THETCHER
a Grenadier in the North Reg. of Hants Militia,
who died of a violent Fever
contracted by drinking Small Beer when hot the 12th of May 1764.
Aged 26 Years.
Here sleeps in peace a Hampshire Grenadier,
Who caught his death by drinking cold small Beer,
Soldiers be wise from his untimely fall
And when ye're hot drink Strong or none at all."

Amanda
Acanthus Books
http://www.acanthus-books.com

>SNIP
>  And, let's not
>forget that England, in the 15th through the 18th centuries and beyond,

>had a reputation on the Continent as being a nation of hard drinkers.
If