SC - Scully's Viandier

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Mon Jun 5 21:27:55 PDT 2000

I asked Amanda if the Scully she could get me was substantially different
than the Bennet version in Cariadoc's volume, or the Prescott
translation, both of which I have.

>>As for the Bennet and Prescott translations of Viandier, I don't know
how
different these are than Scully, but I do have Cariadoc's volumes so may
be
able to compare the Bennet with Scully. If you have ever seen anything
else by Scully, you know his work is full of footnotes and incidental
information, a very thorough investigation of the subject at hand. Scully

transcribed the text of, IIRC, four Viandier manuscripts, and compares
them
line by line. They are in French but with his footnoted comments in
English. Then in another separate section he provides an English
translation of one of the manuscripts.

Whether the Bennet, Prescott and Scully translations are substantially
different might be a good question to ask on SCA-cooks.<<

So, I'm asking--those of you who have seen all the books, do I need to
buy Scully's book, too?  I do love to read his notes and comments, but my
book expense is growing pretty high.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com