SC - Just checking whether you are the Aoife who sent this message

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Mon Jun 5 19:44:40 PDT 2000

Hallo Lorix! Yep, that's me, from Home (I now use my work address). I don't
recall how this recipe came out, precisely at the moment. Sorry! It would
make something very like modern mincemeat, except the ingredients are
layered rather than mixed and pre-cooked (which means that this recipe is
probably older than the date of the cookbook, since pre-mixed pie
ingredients seem to have begun coming into fashion in the late 1500s, early
1600s). But the Cordecidron is a a citrus fruit (most likely the candied
peel) and you can safely substitute candied lemon peel. I would tend to make
my own: thinly peel the rind from lemons, making sure there is no pith
(white). gently boil in 3-4 changes of water (helps to keep 2 pans boiling
at all times---the process is quicker that way) to remove bitterness, then
simmer in a simple syrup of one part sugar to one part water, for 10
minutes. Remove, dip into granulated sugar, and allow to somewhat dry. You
can do the same with the porange peel, which is also probably candied. That
amount of grated raw peel might be overwhelming, thus the surmise about
preserved peel.

And yes, in this case (a recipe from the late 1500s) "lib." means pound
(lb.).

Good Luck. I may have to go back and try this again!

Cheers

Dame Aoife