SC - RE: kvas

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 6 12:28:16 PDT 2000

>I hadn't realized I had directions already
>on how to use it. I imagine they are on the can anyway.

They are...in Russian.  :-)  The recipe on my jar of kvas concentrate does
not call for raisins, incidentally (Anya's directions do).

>Somerset, NJ does seem like a more likely place to find Russian immigrents
>and Russian ethnic food stores than Austin, Tx.

Just a wee bit more likely!

>> - --Yana, who probably should make more than just one gallon of kvas...
>
>I was thinking you might want to, but I didn't want to sound greedy
>and there might not be a demand. Can you make it on the spot if you
>determine that the demand is greater than expected or does it have
>to sit or cool for a while? That might minimize any waste.

It has to ferment overnight and then cool down to a drinkable temperature,
but not ice cold.  I'll just decide on the amount to make closer to
Pennsic.  After all, the only likely waste is the extra gallon jug of water
I'll have to buy, but I have plenty of concentrate, yeast, and sugar.

- --Yana