SC - quenelles again...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 8 15:27:27 PDT 2000

Lorix wrote:

> CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello list,
> >
> > Just a quick question to ask: "did we ever find out if quenelles are period?"
>
> Um, yes & no <g>
> Well, I found a reference to quenelles in a recipe that is in
> Taillevent.  However, I do not have access to the original French so I
> do not know if the translation is correct.
>
> My translation is by James Prescott, who states that he has changed
> the terms to suit more modern usage.  However, if anyone has access to
> the original the recipe it is in is (number 178, my book ;-) a Gilded
> dish:  "Gilded chicken with quenelles".  Basically the 'quenelles' are
> balls of forcemeat cooked on spits with the chicken.
>
> Full recipe previously posted, but nobody confirmed the translation .
> . .

I beg yur podden. As posted previously, Taillevent uses the word
"pomme", or possibly "pomme dor", I forget which, in reference to either
apples or oranges made of forcemeat. I really don't know why Mr.
Prescott chose to use the word "quenelle" in his translation, but
"pommes" and "quenelles" are fairly distantly related, if at all.
They're both round shapes of meat or fish (actually, quenelles aren't
usually round anyway, are normally poached, and have a different texture
from the average meatball) but the resemblance pretty much ends there.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com