SC - Sharpening tools (Was water bugs)

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 8 20:29:14 PDT 2000

For honing or realigning the edge, I like a good steel or ceramic rod.  It makes a great quick job on the knife in the middle of use.

For actual sharpening, which is maybe twice a year at most, I like my carborundum.  I should get a stone that keeps a moe consistant angle, but I haven't yet.  When I get one of those high end knife sets, I'll get a good sharpening set.  so far, a $5 sharpening stone and a drop of oil has been great . . . ever since my first Boy Scout pocket knife in 1975.  Arkansas stone are great too.  I used to use jeweler's ruge on a strap of leather for honing and polishing the edge of pocket knives.  nice finish.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> I use a little plastic and metal sharpener I bought at Walmart. It's sold under several brand names depending on if you get it in the craft or the
camping or the kitchen sections. There's a plastic handle with a finger guard
made of metal and two pieces of some metal that look like scissors tips.
Strangely enough, it's one of the few things actually made in the USA I've
found at Walmart. Works Okay and it's easy to carry around.

Corwyn