SC - Oat bran in oat cakes

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Jun 9 11:47:20 PDT 2000

I have oat bran which looks like the texture of wheat Germ.  would that work,
do you think?
Phillipa Seton
(Guess what we're having for breakfast tomorrow?)

<<
   My recipe for oat cakes calls for butter and long pepper.

   The one I use weekly is a slightly modern addaptation of the original.

   Original (translated)

   32 oz ground scotts oatmeal or 1 box rolled oats ground in a blender.
    8 oz melted butter or enough to give the dough some "body"
    2 long pepper ground in a pestle and morter
    Enough water to moisten.

    Mix the oats with  long pepper and enough butter to form lumps.
    slowely add cold water until dough holds togather (sort of like pie
 crust).
   Cover a bread board with a hand full of the ground oats and roll the dough
 out into 8" circles.  Place a scant handfull of the ground oats on a  hot
 gridle. Carefully place the oat cake on the oats.  Bake untill dry and
 "crumbly" on the edges and dry and lightly browned on the bottom.  Cut into
 8 wedges.

   This recipe is from my family cook book.  The measurements are what is
 modern and have been worked out over time.

   Lady Katherine McGuire