SC - Cooks Guild badges and Motto and intro

Jane M Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 10 13:21:04 PDT 2000

Hi,
I just got on the list. My name is Lady Jana Aoibeall, I am from CAID,
Calafia.(Southern California)  I belong to the Household of the Blackened
Pot.  We are a cooking household. Most of our members are not that
interested in period food as good food.  I am the exception.  I really want
to learn about period food.

Our motto is Prehendete et Fremete aut Esurite.(Grab, Make a rude noise or
hunger) I hope that is spelled correctly I am reading an old well used
banner.  Loosely translated is means; Grab and Growl or go hungry.  The
translation was done be a friend of the Household we is a linguist.

My question is to Norse cooking, around the time of the Vikings.  I have
been asked to cook a winter feast for a Viking war band I belong to 'Drafn'
and would like to make it as period as possible.  Last year we had roasted
chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy and peas.  EEEEK.

I have some wonderful Swiss cook book, but other than eliminating recipe's
that have modern stuff in them I really do not know what is or is not
period.  I really hope the lemon beer is, as it is yummy stuff.

A little more about just me.  I am a wife, mother of two, my interest are
cooking, illumination, and costuming, I also dabble in brewing, needle work
and weaving.  So many cool things to learn, so little time.

I have been in the SCA about 16years and am still having a wonderful time.

Lady Jana Aoibeall
CAID, Calafia, Drafn, Blackened Pot