SC - Rumpolt's turkeys

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Wed Jun 14 14:52:33 PDT 2000

Many thanks, Gwen!  I'm also getting additional words for my cookery
lexicon, as my dictionary has different ones, sometimes.  'Gliedt' is a
form of gleich or gleichen?  My dictionary only gives the 'equal' etc.
meanings.  'Thigh' is something other than 'Diech'.  I'm glad to get new
words for the lexicon--still growing.

>>3. Gliedt den Indianischen Han ab/ Flu:egel vnd Diech/ fu:ell
einjeglichs besonders/ vnd wenns gefu:ellt ist/ so setz es zu/ vnd lasz
an die statt sieden/ Legs auff ein Roszt/ breuns ab/ vnd mach ein Bru:eh
darzu/ es sey saur oder su:esz/ ist es auff beyde manier gut.
3. Dismember the turkey/ (remove) wings and thighs (legs too??)/ stuff
each especially/ and when they are stuffed/ so put them to (water?)/ and
let them simmer till done/ Lay them on a rack/ brown them/ and make a
broth thereto/ be it sour our sweet/ it is good both ways.<<

Well, if you cut off the thighs, the legs are coming, too!  ;-)  Probably
cook's shorthand for slicing through the thigh/body joint.  Now, I am
wondering if you are to stuff the breast and simmer, then brown on the
oven rack, and make a broth, seasoned as you wish, from the legs and
wings, or whether you are supposed to stuff the legs, etc., saving the
breast for a different preparation.

The following recipes call for 'such stuffed wings' so maybe it is the
second method.
There are also following recipes to a half breast and the other half, so
I guess it's the wings and legs that are stuffed, par-boiled, and
roasted.  That would mean that the broth is made by adding the cooking
broth to the roasting pan juices.

 a GEBEHTEN sliced loaf (of bread)/
behalten	to keep (kept, kept
This is really reaching, but could it be a loaf or slices of bread that
you have kept--i.e., stale?  Day or 2 old bread?  That would fit with
other preparations which call for stale bread in a sauce.

8. Make from the other half breast/ that is cooked/ a crushed (like a
mash???)/
I'd guess a pate for this one, and a hash for 'gehack' in the following
recipe.  Evidently, 'a crushed [or pounded]' doesn't have a name, because
he doesn't give a noun form.

The word 'Krapffen' is used for for fritters but so is 'Fladen'.  I'd
like to know if this is a regional term preferance, or, if like our good
old 'mus'/'brei' there are subtle differences?

14. You can also make Mansho Blancko (blancmange) of the breast/ as was
mentioned earlier.
Do you suppose that the blanc mange is #8 or #9?  I did think--without
checking can't be sure--that the French blanc mange had the chicken
pounded to paste.  That recipe changes over time, though.  Even loses the
poultry and becomes dessert.
Taillevent pounded his, but it was for an invalid.
OK, checking the English.  Harleian MS 4016 and Harleian MS 279 'tease'
the chicken, into shreds.  Cindy uses ground chicken.  Forme of Curye
'teere it small'.
Hieatt, in _Pleyn Delit_ has it in small pieces also--

(and this recipe is the reason, M. Adamantius, why I had it in mind to
'mold' the mortrews--she puts her Blamanger into a ring mold.  Mea Culpa
and shades of Betty Crocker.  Frozen peas in the center of the ring mold,
maybe?  ;-p)

Tried to check Chiquart, but it's too big when I have Juno open.  Maybe
just too big altogether--will have to split it up.

Is there, anywhere, an index of recipes for the Menagier?

19. Make also a Musz [there is that word ;-) I would say mash - think
applesauce] of the blancmange. Take the blankemange/ and combine it with
eggs/ and with sweet milk (as opposed to sour) take a bowl/ and smear the
bottom with butter/ that is cold/ put thereafter the mash in the bowl/
put it in the oven/ and bake it/ so it becomes a nice casserole/ and
when you serve it/ so sprinkle it with sugar/ so it will be good.

OK, from what we've learned of 'Mus', I think he wants us to thin the
mashed or minced chicken with the milk and eggs, to a Mus consistency,
then it goes into a bowl, gets baked, [and I think it is unmolded from
the bowl before serving, because we greased the bowl with cold butter]
becomes a sort of baked turkey custard, sprinkled with a little sugar
before serving.  Yum!

Now, I wish I hadn't passed by that fresh turkey breast in the store last
night.
(I got the milk and eggs)
Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com