SC - dream kitchens

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Wed Jun 14 14:52:33 PDT 2000

>>Steps so I can reach the bottom of the deep freeze without falling
in,<<

Cairistiona,

My son watched my feet and fanny waving in the air as I went after the
Christmas duck, on the bottom of the freezer.  He got a bunch of the
plastic bags we need to return to the store--you may not have them where
you are, but could find a substitute--and he put the bottom of the
freezer items in bags with the handles sticking up.  Provided I don't
'lose' the handles by squashing more stuff on them, I can haul up the
bottom items.  I do try to be careful to keep the handles between
intermediate layer items, but at least it makes it easier.

In my dream kitchen, I will have a new skeleton so I can be mobile and do
all the stuff I want to do.  What I'm missing now--other that
mobility--is storage space for appliances that would make life easier.  I
am overwhelmed at the thought of Master A. accomplishing all he does with
a couple of knives, spoons and a whisk.  I've got those.  So why ain't I
as fantastic in the kitchen?  ;-)  Somebody mention training?

Scullery boys--no scullery boys on hand and I could use them!

> Some kitchens in Sweden have a cutting board mounted as a "drawer".
> Slide it out, use it, slide it in (possibly after cleaning...).
In an almost perfect kitchen I once designed, we had a pull out board
like this, but also had 2 butcher block tops built into counters on
opposite sides of the kitchen.  The board I limited to making
sandwiches--the scullery boys on hand at the time ate a lot more often
than they sculleried.  It was always clean except for a stray bread crumb
or a jelly smear--easily dealt with.  Now, I keep a supply of cutting
boards leaning on the wall at different work areas.

I bought my house pretty much for the kitchen, too, then found out I
didn't really have much storage space at all, and not as much counter
space as appeared in an empty house.  I do love the carpeted floor,
although I didn't think I would, and the huge picture window is very
uplifting, with lots of light and its sunset views through huge old
trees.

<<lighting in lots of different places so you can have light where you
need it. <<

I had an electrician add a number of outlets along the back, counter
wall, then put up some neon strip lighting that just sticks to the wall,
available in big hardware stores.  Now my shadow from the overhead light
is not between me and the food I'm preparing.  Also have some small
mirrors sitting around, angled so that they reflect the picture from the
TV on top of the microwave when my back is turned, working on the
counters.  A large mirror that lost its frame--no, I don't know how--sits
on a decorative shelf over the corner sink.  It reflects the picture
window, its light, and the view--effectively another window.  Part of the
wall between the dining room and kitchen has been replaced with a
panelled 3/4 wall, with banisters between wall top and ceiling.  This, in
addition to looking terribly cutesy, allows a cook to talk to people in
the dining room and living room, and allows in light from the dining room
picture window.
The former owner had a picturesque bench there with calico cushions.
I've got a microwave stand with books in it, the microwave/convection
oven on top, and a lazy-susan stand on top of that, holding a 13" TV and
VCR.  By turning the stand, you can watch news or medieval movies while
cutting out garb or actually eating in the dining room.

The big frig is on top, smaller freezer on the bottom, came with the
house.  The chest freezer, a shallow pantry wall cupboard you need a step
stool to climb to, and the marble slab are on the back sunporch, where
the washer and dryer can double up as work space for feast prep.  There's
lots of storage space in the tandem garage in the basement, but I rarely
do stairs anymore.  So, I don't use the stuff there.

There's a light that shines down on the stove top from the exhaust hood,
which, unforunately, can't be vented outside.  I miss that.  The stove
has a neon light in its back panel, and there's a two bulb fancy light
fixture hanging over the corner mounted double sink--neither bowl of
which is large enough to soak and scrub really big pans.  My present
kitchen has lots of goodies, and some almosts.  And some terribly awkward
placements.

 It is light wood cabinetry, dark blue carpeting, white counter tops,
redwood color accents, with dinette table space and lighting by the
picture window.  I have an antique walnut table and cane chairs there,
but it's always covered with mail, cook books, notebooks, potted plants,
etc.  The outside wall has white painted fake tile which I wish was
either real tile, or more lower cupboards with a bench top.  I have
copper molds hung on the walls, and spice racks, and grandchildrens's
pictures.
  The stove is electric, one really big  convection oven because I
couldn't find a side by side large and small oven that I used to have.

Gynydd, when you shop for the microwave/convection oven, consider either
a Sharp, which I've got, or a Hitachi, which I had in Germany.  I can
seriously recommend either!.

For camp cooking, I want storage space that looks period.  Weren't too
many orange plastic milk crates pre-1600.  If I could buy or built
chests, I'd need a trailer to pull to get them there, and some other car
to pull the trailer...     L. Tirza of Clan Kyle has a very nice spice
chest, and it has a set-in top tray, for fairly flat items.  Doubles as a
seating bench when we are not cooking.  Brangwayna's husband built a
beautiful folding round table and chairs.
And, I could use some of those shirtless, singing dishwashers if there
are any to spare!

For some fairly period looking vinegar containers, look at
 http://www.ItalianGiftIdeas.com
They have bottles for their Balsamic Vinegar of Modena, and others.
Haven't tried anything from them, but might when this supply of vinegar
is gone.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com