SC - Poppa's mustard (recipe #1 - Platina red)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Thu Jun 15 05:28:08 PDT 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Nick Sasso wrote:

> A key phrase is ". . . and have it ground".  Not begging any questions
> since I, too, ground my first couple of mustard flours, but it is quite
> apropos to get pre ground mustard flour to use as ingredient since the
> spicers in much of medieval Europe would have been doing the grinding
> for us.

Quite possibly. But my point was that at least one reading of the
original was that you first soaked it, and then ground it. This implies
grinding it at home. Could it be that the author implied that you let
some scullery boy or somesuch do the job of actually grinding it.

> I use a Corona mill that you can find in some hispanic shops.
> It uses two rotating plates to grind corn, barley malt, mustard seed,
> etc.  Then bolt or sieve it to remove large husks and grains.  repeat as
> needed.

I haven't tried anything other than mustard seed in the grinder I
mentioned (iron ball and bowl), but that worked fine. Anyone know what
kind of grinders was used in period for spices? Or was it all done with
mortar and pestle? Is the iron ball and bowl period or later?

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
People are going to be out drinking, vomiting in the snow, and driving
drunk and killing their loved ones and strangers.
		-- Alan J. Rosenthal