SC - questions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jun 15 09:10:57 PDT 2000

At 11:50 AM -0400 6/15/00, Jenne Heise wrote:

(quoting me)

>  > One reason is that you learn more about how to cook a dish from a
>  > recipe for that dish than from some modern person's comments on the
>  > cuisine. A second reason is that secondary sources are of highly
>  > variable quality.
>
>True. But redaction sources (which are also secondary sources) are also of
>highly variable quality.

By "redaction sources" do you mean "collections of worked out
recipes?" If so, I entirely agree--and I don't send people to them
either. We start new people interested in period cooking by letting
them choose an original recipe I haven't done, and having them cook
it--with both of us available to give advice. That's what our cooking
workshops mostly consist of. We also have retries of recipes done at
earlier workshops, but try to give them to people who have done at
least one period recipe before.

Sometimes our "primary" sources are translations, so we are to some
extent at the mercy of the translator, but aside from that the new
person is working from the original.

>And of course the corpus of existing recipes
>represents a relatively small fraction of medieval cookery, by its very
>nature. How do you counteract the effect of that narrow focus and possible
>misinformation (such as "they never ate raw food" and "allspice is a
>good redaction for 'spices'")?

I don't see the first problem--the corpus of existing recipes may be
a small fraction, but it is an enormous number of recipes. And I'm
not trying to make people into scholars of medieval cookery--just
cooks capable of working from medieval recipes. If they want to go
further than that, reading secondary sources is one obvious way of
doing so.

So far as the "misinformation," if they are working from an original
recipe, they won't encounter allspice. If they want guesses about
what "spices" means, they ask us or someone else there and we discuss
it.

One of the dishes we did at our most recent workshop specified
meatballs, but didn't say how to make them (aside from starting with
chicken breast). So I provided the person who was doing that dish
with my collection of "descriptions of how to make meatballs" culled
from the same cookbook.